Summer will be here before long and we can’t wait for happy, lazy afternoons punctuated by cool, refreshing cocktails. For many of us, the 2020 pandemic reignited a desire to make healthier choices every day. Living Kombucha makes for the perfect probiotic mixer to create those delicious cocktails (or mocktails!) and ditch the sugar-overloaded sodas.
Kombucha is a fermented and fizzy drink made by adding a culture of yeast and bacteria to sweetened black or green tea and allowing it to ferment. The result is a bubbly and flavourful drink with a mildly sweet and slightly tart taste, known for its probiotic health benefits. Its distinct flavour profile, well-balanced mouthfeel, sparkling fizz, and inherent fermented goodness make kombucha a great choice — as a standalone drink, and as a mixer.
Living Kombucha has delightful underlying notes of Darjeeling estate tea and makes for a versatile mixer that complements both sweet and sour cocktails. Here are five refreshing Kombucha concoctions for you to try this summer.
Before we jump in —
- Kombucha is a handcrafted artisanal beverage, so every batch will have a slightly different flavour profile. Remember to taste your kombucha first and if required, vary the quantity as per your preference.
- Always add kombucha last, and don’t shake it too hard or you might lose those fizzy bubbles.
- Although these ingredients should be easily available in most kitchens, feel free to experiment with whatever ingredients you have available and whatever flavours you prefer — cocktails are for having fun!
Kombucha Mule (Cocktail/Mocktail)
This gingery kombucha version of the refreshing Moscow Mule is the perfect pick-me-up for a hot summer afternoon.
- Crushed ice
- 60 ml vodka (optional)
- 15 ml freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 15 ml ginger juice
- 120 ml Living Kombucha
- Lime wedge and mint sprig
- Fill a mule mug with crushed ice.
- Add vodka (if using), ginger juice and lime juice over the ice, top with kombucha and stir it.
- Garnish with the lime wedge and mint and serve.
Kombucha Old Fashioned
Impress your date with this classic cocktail with a kombucha twist.
- 75 ml Living Kombucha
- 30 ml orange juice
- 5 ml ginger juice
- 5 ml sugar syrup
- 30 ml bourbon
- 1 large ice cube
- For garnish: Orange twist
- Add the kombucha, orange juice, ginger juice, bourbon and sugar syrup in a mixing glass and mix with a mixing spoon.
- Place the ice cube in the Old Fashioned glass, add the mixture, and stir again.
- Garnish with the orange twist.
Wow your friends with these classy kombucha margaritas.
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- 90 ml tequila
- 60 ml triple sec or Cointreau
- 90 ml fresh lime juice (about 2–3 limes)
- 180 ml Living Kombucha
- Put the salt on a small plate or saucer. Dip the rims of the glasses in lime juice to wet them and dip immediately in the salt.
- Add the tequila, triple sec/Cointreau and lime juice along with some ice in a cocktail shaker and shake until the exterior frosts.
- Add the kombucha and give a quick stir.
- Strain the mixture into margarita glasses (with or without ice depending on preference).
- Garnish with lime slices, if desired.
Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria
This refreshing citrus kombucha version of the sangria is a sure-fire hit at summer brunch parties.
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 800 ml Living Kombucha
- 30 ml lime juice
- 60 ml pure rum
- 60 ml of raw honey (vary as per your sweetness preference)
- 2 lemons, sliced/halved
- 2 oranges, sliced/peeled/quartered
- 1 grapefruit, sliced/peeled/quartered
- Combine all the ingredients in a large jug or pitcher.
Allow the sangria to sit for at least 4 hours before serving.
Optionally store in the refrigerator (depending on your temperature preference).
This heavenly mix of gin and kombucha is exactly what you want on a buzzy summer Saturday!
- 40 ml Dry Gin
- 25 ml Lemon juice
- 20 ml Simple syrup
- 7 basil leaves
- 250 ml Living Kombucha
- Add gin, lemon juice and syrup in a cocktail shaker and give it a hard shake.
- Add basil and give it a soft quick shake.
- Strain onto ice in a highball glass, and top up with chilled Kombucha.
- Garnish with basil leaves.